People Demand Justice For 8-year-old Asifa Who Was Raped For Several Days And Then Murdered In IOK


The horrifying tale of 8-year-old Asifa who was kidnapped, gang-raped, tortured and then finally murdered in Indian Occupied Kashmir (IOK) is just so painful that one gets speechless due to shock and grief.

Asifa went missing on 10th of January, 2018, when she went to the forest to bring the horses home. The horses came back but Asifa didn’t.

8-year-old Asifa. Via: BBC

The minor’s father with some neighbours started looking for her but they couldn’t find her. Two days later, on 12th of January, the family filed a police complaint.

But reported by the BBC, according to the the girl’s father, Muhammad Yusuf Pujwala, the police didn’t prove to be helpful and one of the police officers, the minor’s father alleges, said Asifa must have “elpoed” with a boy.

Five days later, on 17th January, body of 8-year-old Asifa Bano was found in bushes in the forest.

“She had been tortured, her legs were broken. Her nails had turned black and there were blue and red marks on her fingers and arm,” said Naseema Bibi, mother of the minor according to the BBC.


Police have arrested eight men, including a retired government official, four police officers, and a juvenile in connection with the minor girl’s death as reported by the BBC.

The arrests then led to the protests in Jammu and the two ministers of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) took part in the rally in support of the ones who are accused of the crime.

Ankur Sharma, one of the lawyers who protested on behalf of the accused said that the accused had been falsely implicated and the real culprits were still free.

What do investigators believe about the crime?

According to the BBC, On 23 January, Mehbooba Mufti, the chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir, ordered an investigation by the crime branch.

According to the investigators, the 8-year-old was confined in a local temple for several days. Asifa was given sedatives that kept her unconscious.

The charge sheet alleges that she was “raped for days, tortured and then finally murdered.” The 8-year-old was strangled to death and then hit with a stone on the head twice.


The investigators allege that Deepak Khajuria and the other police officers – some of those who lodged the complaint and accompanied the family in finding Asifa – washed the clothes of the 8-year-old which were bloodied and covered with splashes of mud before sending them to a forensic lab.

People stand up to demand justice for the minor girl

In Jammu and Kashmir state assembly, an opposition legislator, Mian Altaf demanded an inquiry in this case.

After coming to know about this horrible crime and inhumane treatment with Asifa, people stood up to seek justice for the 8-year-old.

Via: BBC

Some famous personalities of India and Bollywood celebrities also talked about this heinous crime and demanded justice for Asifa via their social media accounts.

Asifa’s mother described her little girl as a “chirping bird” who used to run like a deer. The 8-year-old was adopted by the couple as Muhammad Yusuf’s two daughters died in an incident some years ago.

“Asifa was the centre of our universe,” Naseema Bibi said as reported by the BBC.

Source: BBC

Leave a Comment